Sacrament of Confirmation
It is evident from its celebration that the effect of the sacrament of Confirmation is the special outpouring of the Holy Spirit as once granted to the apostles on the day of Pentecost (Catechism of the Catholic Church 1302).
From this fact, Confirmation brings an increase and deepening of baptismal grace:
- it roots us more deeply in the divine filiation which makes us cry, “Abba! Father!”
- it unites us more firmly to Christ;
- it increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
- it renders our bond with the Church more perfect;
- it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross. (1303)
Like Baptism which it completes, Confirmation is given only once, for it too imprints on the soul an indelible spiritual mark, the “character,” which is the sign that Jesus Christ has marked a Christian with the seal of his Spirit by clothing him with power from on high so that he may be his witness (1304).
Who can receive this Sacrament?
Every baptized person not yet confirmed can and should receive the sacrament of Confirmation. Since Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist form a unity, it follows that “the faithful are obliged to receive this sacrament at the appropriate time,” (CIC, can. 890) for without Confirmation and Eucharist, Baptism is certainly valid and efficacious, but Christian initiation remains incomplete (1306).
Preparation for Confirmation
Parents who seek the Sacrament of Confirmation for their children must enroll them in the Religious Education program (catechesis) of the parish. Formation will be a minimum of two years before receiving the sacrament. CLICK HERE to see the religious education page.
Adults over the age of 18 who have not been confirmed must attend adult formation classes before receiving their Confirmation. You may call the office at 773-434-9600 and leave a message for our adult formation catechist, or you may send a question / request online to the office.