Sacrament of Baptism
Through Baptism, we become God’s children and begin our journey of Faith as followers of Christ. In seeking Baptism for our children, we recognize how significant this journey of Faith is in our lives and theirs. As parents, together with our community of faith, we continue our own journey as disciples and serve as guides and teachers for our children, pointing the way to Christ and living out our mission to love and serve God and our neighbors every day of our lives.
Dates and Schedule for Infant Baptism
Baptisms in English:
- The first Sunday of every month at 1:30 pm (after the 12 pm Mass)
Baptisms in Spanish:
- The second Saturday of every month at 12 pm.
- The fourth Saturday of every month at 12 pm.
- The third Sunday of every month at 1:30 pm (after the 12 pm Mass).
- Sometimes there are other Saturdays during the Summer.
Baptism Preparation Class in English:
- Generally, it is the 4th Sunday of every month at 11:30 am in St. Augustine Hall (Entrance is off Parking Lot).
- There are no Baptisms during Lent.
- It is necessary that you be on time for the Baptism and the preparation class.
- The Baptisms will be celebrated by the Deacon or the Priest, depending on their availability.
Requirements for Infant Baptism
- The family must be registered in the parish.
- The child must be younger than 7 years old (if the child is 7 or older, he or she must attend religious education classes to be baptized).
- The parents and godparents must attend a baptism preparation class here at St. Rita (if the parents or godparents attended a baptism class at another parish within the past 24 months, we will need a letter from that parish stating the date the class was attended).
About Godparents for Infant Baptism
For someone to be a godparent (padrino/madrina) one must be:
- At least 16 years old.
- A Baptized Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on.
To Register for Infant Baptism
Bring to the parish office:
- Your child’s birth certificate.
- The complete names of the godparents (there is to be only one godfather and/or one godmother).
- Donation of $50 (non-refundable).
For more information, please contact the parish secretary at 773-434-9600, ext. 10 or email@example.com
For more information on getting baptized as an adult, please CLICK HERE.